Safety, Security, Reliability
See safety and ities tags.
Under construction... parked...
These are a history, discussion notes, and a list of resources that I used in my software engineering masters program.
In 1994, with the support of the Oregon Economic Development Department, and the companies Intel, Mentor Graphics, Sequent, and Tektronix, a team presented a study of software engineering success factors to representatives of higher education from the state. In 1996, a team of faculty from several CS departments from these institutions met to discuss the implications of the study. This faculty team proposed a new Master of Software Engineering degree to the American Electronics Association and the Software Association. After these groups endorsed the plan, the state legislature approved an funded the initial program.
The program, the Oregon Master of Software Engineering (OMSE), was launched in the spring of 1998 under the administration of the Oregon University System with hybrid classes offered from OGI, OSU, PSU, and UO. In November of 2002 the program merged with the PSU Computer Science department as a self-support program.
In 2011, many OMSE program professors were separated from PSU, though some remained with the CS department, due to a rebudgeting of the university’s self-support programs. The university made the choice to teach out all active students and to re-evaluate OMSE as a stand alone program and/or an integrated curriculum with the computer science department. Most remaining students graduated by summer of 2013.
In 2014, the three primary schools involved with OMSE have planned to leave OUS, so it is very likely the program will retire indefinitely.
- The Internet Archive backup for the OMSE website at PSU.
- The OMSE Exchange wiki at Portland State University (according to the CAT will be removed or archived by summer 2014).
- The OMSE Exchange group on Linked In.
- The OMSE Alumni on LinkedIn.
Software Engineering (500)
Software Project Management (511)
Professional Communication Skills for Software Engineers (513)
Computing Foundations (514)
Software Foundations (515)
Software Process Improvement (516)
Agile Software Development (517)
Metrics and Models (521)
Modeling and Analysis of Software Systems (522)
Software Quality (525)
Implementation and Testing (535)
Strategic Software Engineering (551)
Software Practicum I (555)
Software Practicum II (556)
Some books were reused throughout the curriculum, so instead of creating a matrix which might have varied depending on the professor or the student, this list includes all books.
- Agile Testing by Lisa Crispin and Janet Gregory
- The Mythical Man-Month: Essays on Software Engineering, Anniversary Edition (2nd Edition) by Frederick P. Brooks Jr. ISBN-10: 0201835959
- Software Systems Architecture by Nick Rozanski and Eoin Woods
- Specification by Example by Gojko Adzic
Books, incomplete and unsorted data below, with possibly some repeats
This section is a bit less tidy and is still in progress. It also includes optional text and peer-recommended texts.
I apologize for the links to any specific bog vendor; I plan to rework this page.
- Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment (2nd Edition) by W. Richard StevensISBN-10: 0201433079
- Agile Testing: A Practical Guide for Testers and Agile Teams by Lisa CrispinISBN-10: 0321534468
- C Programming Language (2nd Edition) by Brian W. KernighanISBN-10: 0131103628
- C++ Primer Plus (5th Edition) by Stephen PrataISBN-10: 0672326973
- Computer Systems: A Programmer's Perspective by Randal E. BryantISBN-10: 013034074X
- Crucial Conversations Tools for Talking When Stakes Are High, Second Edition by Kerry PattersonISBN-10: 0071771328
- Death by Meeting: A Leadership Fable...About Solving the Most Painful Problem in Business by Patrick LencioniISBN-10: 0787968056
- Discrete Structures, Logic, and Computability by James L. HeinISBN-10: 0763772062
- Exploring Requirements: Quality Before Design by Donald C. GauseISBN-10: 0932633137
- Head First Design Patterns by Elisabeth FreemanISBN-10: 0596007124
- Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML by Eric T FreemanISBN-10: 059610197X
- Head First Object-Oriented Analysis and Design by Brett D. McLaughlinISBN-10: 0596008678
- Head First PHP & MySQL by Lynn BeighleyISBN-10: 0596006306
- Linear Algebra and Its Applications by Gilbert StrangISBN-10: 0030105676
- Logic Primer - 2nd Edition by Colin AllenISBN-10: 0262511266
- Managing and Leading Software Projects by Richard E. FairleyISBN-10: 0470294558
- Managing Virtual Teams: Getting the Most from Wikis, Blogs, and Other Collaborative Tools (Wordware Applications Library) by Brenda HuettnerISBN-10: 1598220284
- Modern Operating Systems (3rd Edition) by Andrew S. TanenbaumISBN-10: 0136006639
- Object-Oriented & Classical Software Engineering (Hardcover, 2006) 7th EDITION by Stephen R. Schach (Vanderbilt University) (2006)http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/818854788
- Peopleware: Productive Projects and Teams (Second Edition) by Tom DeMarcoISBN-10: 0932633439
- Puzzles for Hackers by Ivan SklyarovISBN-10: 1931769451
- Software Engineering (9th Edition) by Ian SommervilleISBN-10: 0137035152
- Software Estimation: Demystifying the Black Art (Best Practices (Microsoft)) by Steve McConnellISBN-10: 0735605351
- Software Fundamentals: Collected Papers by David L. Parnas by Daniel M. HoffmanISBN-10: 0201703696
- Software Measurement and Estimation: A Practical Approach (Quantitative Software Engineering Series) by Linda M. LairdISBN-10: 0471676225
- Software Product Lines: Practices and Patterns by Paul ClementsISBN-10: 0201703327
- Software Product-Line Engineering: A Family-Based Software Development Process by David M. WeissISBN-10: 0201694387
- Software Quality Engineering: Testing, Quality Assurance, and Quantifiable Improvement by Jeff TianISBN-10: 0471713457
- Software Requirements Engineering, 2nd Edition by Richard H. ThayerISBN-10: 0818677384
- Software Systems Architecture: Working With Stakeholders Using Viewpoints and Perspectives (2nd Edition) by Nick RozanskiISBN-10: 032171833X
- Specification by Example: How Successful Teams Deliver the Right Software by Gojko AdzicISBN-10: 1617290084
- Statistics (Cliffs Quick Review) by David H. VoelkerISBN-10: 0764563882
- The Change Agents' Handbook: A Survival Guide for Quality Improvement Champions by David W. HuttonISBN-10: 0873892879
- The Corporate Culture Survival Guide by Edgar H. ScheinISBN-10: 0470293713
- The Power Presenter: Technique, Style, and Strategy from America's Top Speaking Coach by Jerry WeissmanISBN-10: 0470376481
Last updated: Sun 24 January 2016